Public Service Announcement

We were packed cheek to jowl this morning on the 4 train bound for Manhattan. She was wearing that New York uniform of baseball cap, hoop earrings, dark clothes... Her hair tied up in the back...

Suddenly, when we were about to hit 86th Street Station, she dropped, fainting. To their credit, the fellow New Yorkers caught her under her armpits, eased her fall, and turned her around to a sitting position. (I for my kept my hand palm open at the ready behind her back were it to have fallen to me to assist the folks catching her.)

Folks, if this happens in front of you, hopefully it goes well the way it did this morning. Everyone was spot on - even her; after coming to, she disembarked at the next stop and took a seat on the bench, while I offered to call 911. (She assured me that she was fine, and I went on my way...)

So if someone falls, and is unresponsive, do not move them - very important. Rather, stay with them and call for help (or, if you lack a phone, delegate finding help to someone nearby - don't fear being preremptory.) Lastly, do not leave until first responders arrive, and do not hang up the phone until dispatch disconnects the call...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Agony and the Ecstasy: H&M Review 16-03-2019

A Personal Note #mentalhealth, #psychiatry, #psychiatricdiagnoses, #mentalillness, #bipolar, #psychosis